Being a very common term, anxiety is a combination of several disorders that cause apprehension, fear, nervousness and worrying. These disorders are deeply associated with how we feel and behave. In addition, they can cause physical symptoms. Mild one is unsettling/vague while the severe anxiety can significantly affect your daily life. Before knowing the tricks to get rid of anxiety, you should know what anxiety is.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is an emotion associated with feelings of tensions and physical changes such as increased blood pressure. Before going ahead, it is essential for you to differentiate an anxiety disorder from normal feelings of anxiety.
Getting anxious for a while is a common feeling. Most of us go through it in our lives. It occurs when we face potential harmful or worrying thoughts/incidents. Talking about the anxiety disorder, the feeling of harmful or worrying thoughts occurs frequently and lasts for a longer time. In such a case, you have physical changes like an increased blood pressure, tensed mood, and nausea.
Tricks to get rid of your anxiety
You need to seek a psychological treatment when you have frequent physical changes like an increased blood pressure. Before you go to a psychiatrist, apply any one of these nine tricks:
- Follow a 4-4-4 technique. This breathing exercise is very helpful for you if you have an anxiety attack. Take a deep breath and count four. Hold your breath while you count 1-4. Exhale until you count four.
- Have a look at the photos or videos that make you happy. The photographs or videos can be of your last vacation, a funny program or your first achievement. Do this for 10 seconds three times a day. This will help you stay on focused on the good.
- Stressed! Close your eyes for a while. It will stop viewing negative imagery and help you get back to good thoughts or works.
- Open an adult colouring book with geometrical designs. Start drawing some geometrical designs when you are stressed or anxious. This will help you calm your mind, reduce stress, and regain the focus.
- Start writing down the issues you have when you are anxious or stressed. Writing down the issues will help you find the solutions.
- Get into the habit of drafting a to-do list in the morning every day. This will help you lower the stress about the tasks you have to do. In addition, it will help you organize the whole day.
- Use a stress ball to get rid of your work-induced anxiety. Squeeze the ball to find the centre. It will help you regain a sense of calmness.
- Hold an ice-cube when you are stressed or anxious. Edie Stark, a well-known psychotherapist, says, “Holding an ice cube makes you focus more on the cold than the issue causing you a panic attack.
- Get into the habit of meditation to stay away from anxiety. As it capable of affecting the nerves in our body, so it calms you down in an anxiety attack.