Sago or saboodana is enriched with carbohydrate. It contains 94 % carbohydrate, .2% protein, 0.5% dietary fibre and a little bit calcium and iron. The saboodana is used to prepare several dishes. In our series of fitness recipes, we have come up with saboodana khichdi recipe. Its preparation takes 4 hours while the cooking takes only 15 minutes.
- 1 cup Saboodana (sago)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 1tbsp chopped coriander
- 1tbsp desi ghee
- 1tsp chopped green chilies
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- Rock salt (sendha namak)
- 1 medium sized potato
- Keep the saboodana soaked in water for 2 hours.
- Wash the saboodana in running water to wash its starch off.
- Keep it in a sieve and place aside for 2 hours to remove all the water from the sago.
- Remove the potato cover and make small pieces. Place a pan on the flame to heat the ghee.
- Add jeera (cumin seeds).
- Add the green chillies when the jeera get spluttered.
- Add the potato pieces after cooking the cumin seeds and the chillies for 10 seconds.
- Keep frying the potatoes till they get half cooked.
- Now add the peanuts. Keep cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and keep cooking for 4-5 minutes by covering the top.
- Add the drained sago along with the salt and keep cooking for 4-5 minutes.
- Decorate it when the saboodana gets transparent.
- Serve hot.